Health effects of structural damp include...
Asthma is one of the most common health effects associated with structural dampness. Asthma is heightened due to condensation, moisture, humidity, and water intrusion, which all contribute to indoor moisture. Mould infestation is a major trigger for asthma. Besides asthma, other health concerns of mould are infections, allergenic or immunological illnesses, and non-allergic illnesses. Asthma is also triggered by the sensitization of dust mites accruing in the humid, wet regions of a structure. Another health effect associated with structural dampness is the presence of bacteria in an indoor environment. Bacteria require water to grow and multiply. Bacteria are a source for the transmission of diseases, therefore putting occupants' health at risk by water intrusion into the indoor environment. Water removal and drying of wet building materials within 2 days will likely prevent mould and bacteria growth, therefore reducing occupants' vulnerability to disease.
The highest airborne mould concentrations are found in buildings where significant mould infestation has occurred, usually as a result of severe water intrusion or flood damage. Moulds can grow on almost any surface and occurs where there is a lot of moisture from structural problems such as leaky roofs or high humidity levels. Airborne mould concentrations have the potential to be inhaled and cause serious health effects in humans.
Damp Is Difficult And Troublesome
Damp is proven to be one of the most difficult and troublesome of household problems and many home owners struggle to deal with it. The appearance of damp may suggest some sort of internal leak in your pipe or guttering system that needs to be located and fixed or condensation problems. Left untreated damp can cause various forms of mould and fungi to thrive on the inside of the building, which can result in an infestation of mites or even put you and your family at risk of serious respiratory illnesses and infections.
Damp can cause structural problems and pose serious health risks – so make sure your home is damp proofed properly now.